Dravet Syndrome Foundation Spain seeks an exceptional and visionary leader for the position of Scientific Director.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Scientific Director will help build, shape, and direct the Foundation’s portfolio of innovative research projects. The successful candidate will bring a deep understanding of Dravet syndrome biology, discovery, and translational science to inform the Foundation’s strategic direction, ensure early awareness of opportunities, and establish research programs to enable breakthroughs that can transform the lives of patients. The Scientific Director will oversee multiple projects across diverse areas of research such as disease mechanism elucidation, model systems development, biomarker identification, and therapeutics discoveries, with responsibility to select and initiate projects, track progress, assess impact, communicate results, and plan next steps for ongoing efforts.
Based in Madrid, Dravet Syndrome Foundation Spain is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to accelerating research for Dravet syndrome by integrating discoveries in biology with innovative technology. We collaborate with a global portfolio of groundbreaking researchers formed by individual investigators, multi-investigator teams, and inter-institutional collaborators.
Review begins November 4th, 2019.
– Identify, evaluate, and prioritize global opportunities in basic, translational, and clinical research, and innovative technologies, seeking to accelerate value to Dravet syndrome patients
– Work closely with the board of directors to help develop the Foundation’s scientific strategy
– Help develop the implementation of new funding programs
– Direct a portfolio of scientific projects aligned with our focus areas, including engagement with investigators; evaluation of project concepts and proposals; progress assessment for ongoing projects; and communication of results
– Guide projects from inception to completion, identifying opportunities for new projects, collaborations, and ventures that may arise throughout the lifecycle
– Connect research partners to experts within the Foundation’s network and beyond to help advance solutions to problems or challenges and accelerate the pace of discovery
– Engage with a diverse group of external partners and collaborators in academia, industry (pharma, biotech, and CRO), and other non-profit organizations to sustain and advance the Foundation’s high-impact portfolio of research programs
– Identify new external partners and collaborators who provide differentiated capabilities and perspectives, and identify win-win opportunities to work together
– Work closely with the scientific team to stay abreast of the latest discoveries and trends in Dravet syndrome and genetic epilepsy research and strategic focus areas such as gene therapy and disease-modifying treatments
– Serve as a scientific spokesperson for the Foundation, including representing the Foundation at scientific meetings and conferences
– Build and maintain key relationships for the Foundation with global thought leaders
– Collaborate with internal and external team members, including workstreams to address business, legal, and communication requirements necessary to advancing the Foundation’s mission
– Doctoral degree in life sciences (PhD, MD, or equivalent)
– Minimum three years of experience as an independent scientist working in rare disease research or a genetic epilepsy area
– Demonstrated track record of accomplishment, including notable contributions to science and authorship of high impact scientific publications
– Familiarity with state-of-the-art technologies, platforms, and scientific methodologies as applied to rare diseases and genetic epilepsy research
– Demonstrated ability to work well in cross-functional teams
– Proven problem-solving skills and creativity
– Full proficiency in English and Spanish
– Excellent written and oral communication skills
– Experience working at the interfaces between Dravet syndrome biology and other relevant disciplines such as genetics, pharmacology, or data science is preferred
– Experience leading complex projects, partnerships, and alliances is preferred
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Job Type and location